Two Students Executed inside Rented Muzigo in Rubaga

Old Kampala police is investigating circumstances that led to the death of two female students of the East African University.
Bodies of Huda Njuba and another only known as Safinah were found rotting in their rented room in Kakeeka village, Rubaga division. The deceased are aged between 20 and 24.
Police was informed of the death of the two young women by neighbors following a foul stench that was emanating from the deceased’s room, which had remained closed for more than three days.
Police says that there are no signs of struggle or injuries on the two bodies although one of them was found with a knife in her hand.
The scene-of-crime officers have since swept the scene for any possible evidence. Among the recovered exhibits are used condoms, the knife and mobile phones found on the bodies of the two.
According to the Kampala Metropolitan Police spokesperson Luke Owoyesigire, the detectives have since arrested the landlord to help in investigations.
Njuba had been reported missing from her home in Entebbe last week. The bodies have been taken to Mulago City Mortuary for postmortem to help establish the exact cause and time of death.

GRAPHIC PHOTO: Man Handcuffed, Beheaded in Wakiso

Police in Wakiso district is hunting for the unknown assailants who handcuffed a man and cut off his head.
A body of a man estimated to be in his 30s and 40s was found dumped in a bush, along Sentema road, between Nakabugo and Bukasa trading Centers.
The body was naked, without a head and tied on handcuffs.
Police says the deceased was believed to have been brought from far and slaughtered in the area.
Police adds that detectives are in the area for any clues and with a possibility of recovering the missing head.
The body has been taken to City mortuary pending post mortem.

U.N. chief regrets Somalia envoy expulsion will send replacement

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres will appoint a new envoy to Somalia, a U.N. spokesman said after failing to convince the country to retract its decision to expel the current representative over accusations of interference.
Since Somalia’s foreign ministry declared late on Tuesday that U.N. envoy Nicholas Haysom “cannot work in this country,” Guterres has spoken twice with Somali President Mohamed Abdullahi, U.N. spokesman Farhan Haq told reporters in New York.
“The Secretary-General deeply regrets the decision of the Government of the Federal Republic of Somalia,” Haq said. “The Secretary-General has full confidence in Mr. Haysom.”
Haq noted that the doctrine of persona non grata does not apply to United Nations personnel.
“At the same time the Secretary-General is totally committed to ensuring that the needs of the Somali people are at the forefront of the work of the United Nations in Somalia,” Haq said. “Therefore, he intends to appoint in due course a new Special Representative for Somalia.”
The U.N. Security Council is due to discuss the developments behind closed doors later on Friday, diplomats said.
The United Nations is a major backer of Somalia, a country that has lacked strong central government since 1991. The government’s decision on Haysom could intensify a confrontation between Mogadishu and the semiautonomous regions.
Haysom had raised questions in a letter on Sunday about the involvement of U.N.-supported Somali security forces in the arrest of a former militant of the Islamist al Shabaab group who was blocked from running in a regional election.
Haysom, a South African, told the Security Council on Thursday that the allegations of interference by the federal government in the regional election and the violence that followed the former militant’s arrest “does not bode well for the upcoming electoral processes in other regions or for the 2020 national elections.”
Somalia’s U.N. Ambassador Abukar Dahir Osman told the Security Council that the Somali people wanted “Somalia leading international support, not international support leading Somalia.”
“Somalia distinguishes between the institutions that we are part of and individual conduct that’s had detrimental effect on our fragile nation,” he said.
 

Two Gabon Coup Plotters Killed

Two soldiers who took part in Monday’s attempted coup in Gabon have been killed, the president’s office says.
They were shot dead after security officers stormed the national radio building which they had taken over. Three others are under arrest.
The junior officers claimed they seized power “to restore democracy” in oil-rich Gabon, where the ailing leader’s family has ruled for 50 years.
“The situation is under control,” the presidency’s statement said.
Coup leader Lt Kelly Ondo Obiang was on the run for a brief period, before being found hiding under a bed, reports Radio France Internationale (RFI).
“The situation is calm. The gendarmes who are often stationed there have taken control of the entire area around the radio and TV headquarters, so everything is back to normal”, said Guy-Bertrand Mapangou, a spokesman for the government of the central African country.
Mr Mapangou said that the army generals, civil society and opposition leaders mentioned in the rebels’ statement as potential supporters would be investigated.
What is the opposition’s reaction?
The main opposition group, The Coalition for the New Republic, denied any link with the rebel soldiers.
One of its leading members, Paul-Marie Gondjout, told the BBC that soldiers and the police were searching vehicles on main roads in the capital, Libreville.
“We see order, but we don’t know what is going on,” Mr Gondjout said.
He added that with President Ali Bongo out of the country since October when he suffered a stroke, his deputy should be sworn in as head of state.
“The country needs to be run and we have no government, no head of state,” Mr Gongjout said.
President Bongo succeeded his father Omar Bongo as president in 2009. He narrowly won re-election in 2016 in a poll marred by violence and accusations of fraud.
 

Woman Burns Daughter’s Private Parts for Peeing on Bed

Police in Luwero district is holding a woman for burning private parts for a 3 year old girl.
Hadijja Nansasi is a resident of Kasana, Bombo town council accused of burning Blessing Naiga a daughter to her sister accusing her of urinating on her bed.
She is being detained under police case reference number 23/06/01/2019.

Uganda Law Society Rallies behind Kadaga’s Decision to Extend COSASE Probe Tenure

Uganda Law society has massively rallied behind the decision by the speaker of parliament Rt Hon Rebecca Kadaga to extend the tenure in office of the committee on Commissions, Statutory Authorities and State Enterprises (COASASE) until they finalize the probe on the sale of seven defunct banks by Bank of Uganda.
Yesterday the Speaker revealed that she is the head of the institution and her proposal is good for the well-being of the country and the August House, “COSASE is winding up on the BoU investigation. We expect them to write a report and hand it over to the House before they move,” she added.
According to chairperson of ULS Simon Peter Kinobe, the committee leadership has almost most finalized its probe into the sale of banks starting from Teefe in 1993, asserting that the new leadership may retard the process that is nearly coming to conclusion.
Mr. Kinobe contended that under the rules of parliament, the head of the institution has the authority to borrow best practices from other Commonwealth countries to give a leeway for the committee to finalize it work and hands it over to parliament.
The opposition has always opposed to the extension of Bugweri County Abdu Kantuntu’s committee in order to bring in Kawempe South legislator Mubarak Munyagwa and others. The opposition made changes late last year replacing the several committee leaders with new faces.
BoU has failed to account for Shs478.8 billion, the officials say they sank in Crane Bank Limited as liquidity support among other costs before finally transferring it to Dfcu Bank at Shs200 billion.
Cosase has been probing BoU top officials over irregular closure of seven commercial banks including Teefe Trust Bank, Crane Bank Limited, Global Trust Bank, International Credit Bank, Cooperative Bank, Greenland Bank and National Bank of Commerce.

Burundi, Turkey Pen Security and Intelligence Deal against Enemies

Turkey and Burundi have signed a security agreement that envisages joint military intelligence cooperation against third countries.
According to the agreement obtained by the Nordic Research and Monitoring Network (NRMN), a Stockholm-based nongovernmental organization. Article 8 of the agreement states that “regarding the countries considered to harm the mutual interests of the Parties and to be determined jointly, shall cover the developments in the area of interest of the Armed forces of the Parties, priority being given to the military activities and exchange of military intelligence information about the activities of these countries in Turkey and Burundi.”
The two countries committed to protecting classified information and to refrain from sharing it with other countries. Article 7 of the agreement reads, “The classified information and material shall not be disclosed to or shared with (or transferred to) a third party without prior written consent of the Party providing them.”
The agreement was signed on September 8, 2018 in Ankara by the chiefs of general staff of Turkey and Burundi. It was approved by the Turkish parliamentary Commission on Foreign Affairs on December 12, 2018. The agreement is valid for five years with automatic renewals unless one party notifies the other in advance of withdrawal.
Among the areas of cooperation are military training and education, exchange of personnel, participation in exercises, training and joint exercises, the defense industry, logistics, military intelligence, communications and counter terrorism.
Opposition Turkish lawmaker Ahmet Haluk Koc questioned the vagueness in the wording of the agreement, asking whether Turkey would consider Belgium or countries that have problems with Burundi as third countries against whom Turkey and Burundi will cooperate on military and intelligence matters. “What kind of interest does Turkey seek jointly with Burundi with this deal?” he said.
 

Man Tests Ebola Positive after Visiting Burundi

A man is being treated in isolation at Sweden’s Uppsala University Hospital on suspicion of infection with Ebola after visiting Burundi, the regional authority said on Friday.
The hospital’s chief medical officer said the young man had been in Burundi for around three weeks, and was exhibiting classic symptoms of hemorrhagic fever, including vomiting blood. Test results were expected later on Friday.
Symptoms of the highly contagious and often deadly virus can take up to three weeks to appear.
There is no known Ebola outbreak in Burundi, but it borders the Democratic Republic of Congo, which has been fighting an outbreak for almost six months. The disease has killed 356 of the 585 people known to have been infected.
The epidemic in a volatile part of Congo is the second worst ever, according to the World Health Organization.
The largest outbreak was one in 2013-2016 in West Africa, where more than 28,000 cases were confirmed.
The emergency clinic in the Swedish town of Enkoping, where the patient was first admitted, was closed and staff who had been in contact with him were being looked after.