Ten Dead, Several Injured In Kampala City Riots

At least  more than ten people have been confirmed dead and hundreds have been injured by security forces during the riots in Kampala. Riots started after information circulated on several social media platforms that security arrested National Unity Platform (NUP) President Hon Robert Ssentamu Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine.

According to police, Kyagulanyi was arrested as he was on his Presidential campaign trail heading to Luuka district in Busoga region.  He was later detained at Nalufenya police Station in Jinja.

According to police sources, city riots started at around 1:00am in different parts of Kampala that included, Kisseka, Mutasa, Owino, Nkuruma, Nakasero Market among others. “We were not ready for the riots, they just started abruptly and we only had normal deployment of the day,” says a security chief.

Military officers were deployed after riots spread to different parts of the country including Kireka. courtesy photo

He added that the rioters overpowered the daily work force and Kampala city was almost taken over.  The riots extended to areas of Nakulabye, Kisenyi, Mengo, Nsangi and people started burning tyres, throwing stones at police, damaging security and private vehicles, rooting shops among other criminal activities.

The security chief added that when the situation went out of hand, they called for help from Military police, Special Forces Command to contain the situation. “When those forces came, they patrolled the city battling with rioters from different parts of Kampala City as they shot live bullets and spreading tear gas to rioters,” says another Chief.

Military officers put out fire which was lit by rioters. Courtesy photo.

He added that it took joint security forces almost four hours to contain the situation in Kampala. By 4:30 pm, the whole of Kampala City was smelling tear gas as security officers whipped rioters with kiboko. At around 5:00pm no business was moving on in Kampala, all shops had closed as people fled the city. Situation started normalizing at around 6:00pm as taxis started moving on high ways.


Meanwhile as police and army were battling with rioters in different parts of Kampala, top security chiefs were holding a crisis meeting to discuss the way forward in case the riots continue in Kampala.

The meeting was held at Central police Station (CPS) Kampala and was chaired by Commander 1 st Division Maj General Samuel Kawaga and was attended by KMP Commander CP Moses Kafeero, Commander Military Police Col Katungi, RPC KMP South ACP James Ruhweza among other top security chiefs.

They were later joined by Chief of Staff land Forces Maj.Gen Leopold Kyanda who will later briefed the Chief of Defence Force (CDF) Gen David Muhoozi of what transpired in Kampala during and after riot.


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *